Saturday, March 31, 2007

So much for the Bike ride....


This is my bike. Gunnar Roadie


My plan for the day was to go do a 25 or 50 mile bike tour/ride at Warner Park. So last night I got everything out and ready, and I thought I would tinker with my pedals (Shimano) for a few minutes so I could clip in. I have had trouble with them and I always kind thought that maybe it was just me and I didn't know the "trick" to getting into the pedals. Every ride I have been on was a hassle due to the stupid things..(or stupid me ). But now they weren't working AT ALL! I would push my foot in, but it wouldn't "stick" no matter what I did or hard hard I pushed. It would just pop right back out. I didn't know if it was the cleat or the pedal, and I tried everything last night to figure it out with no luck. I never got to go to the bike shop because I crammed two weeks worth of dogs into my shop this week and I never got off work in time to do it. But, I promised Patrick I would be there, so I got up this morning and headed out.
When I got there I explained the situation to some clueless volunteer, and that didn't get me anywhere. I read on the web site there was going to be some bike people there to help with issues, and she had no idea what I was talking about. Then I found some nice couple who tinkered with it for a few minutes. The girl put my cleats on and tried to clip in, and she couldn't get it to stick either. She then put HER cleats on and tried my bike and couldn't get hers to stick. So it wasn't ME after all! It was my pedals.

I ended up leaving and driving to my bike store PISSED because I missed the ride. Matt at the bike store (Allanti) put me on the trainer and messed around with the pedals awhile and then decided to change the pedals out and he did this for FREE! Thank-you Matt! (By the way...don't miss Matt's Blog. It's one of the best I have come across if you're wanting to know ANYTHING about biking.) Here are my new pedals. (SpeedPlay)
After I got the new pedals on, I clipped in and out with ease. I took it straight to the park and had a joyous, hassle free 17 mile ride. Bliss!

This is my pollinated car (Mazda 3) which I just washed and it's already covered again, and these are the new wheels my husband got me for my birthday! I love my car.

6 comments:

Chad said...

I like the new pedals - I've heard those type are the easiest to get in and out of - I need to get some pedals shortly, let me know how they work for you.

Glad I could keep you honest on your swimming! Sounds like you are finding a way to get your workouts in despite a hectic schedule - keep at it.

Allez said...

I've got those exact same speedplay pedals. I really like them. I've never had problems with them. Except the one time when I walked through mud accidentaly in my cleats. That made it impossible to clip in and out. But that was my own dumb fault!

Fonzie said...

nice!
www.novitadallarete.blogspot.com

TriSonq said...

Sorry you missed the ride.

Doesn't it make you feel better now that you know it wasn't your fault that the pedals didn't work.

We'll try to meet up soon.

Be good!

TriShannon said...

Sorry you missed your ride. So strange about the pedals... glad you got everything fixed and got hooked up with some new ones!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Glad you got your pedals fixed! I've always wondered how the Speedplays worked.

Nice car, too!

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Destin, but sorry about the vertigo. That sounds like a bummer....but it looks like you still had a good time!