Sunday, March 4, 2007

Swimming Lessons Week 2

Another tough work-out. We got right to it tonight, and swam continuously for the whole 1.5 hours. Well, I mean we'd take breaks for instructions between laps, but it was pretty much non-stop tonight. We did something fun called Touch and Pull where you have a kick board and alternate the hand holding it and the arm pulling you through the water. Then we did it with-out the kick board. I started out with the fins on but for some reason those things KILL my feet so I always take them off. It makes the work-out a bizillion times harder, though. I need to figure something out with the fins. The other thing I can't stand is water going into my ears as I turn my head up for a breath. I am going to look for ear plugs. It freaks me out so much I stop swimming in the middle of a lap. My ears have always been touchy so if I am going to continue with this, I'll have to do plugs. (I hate those too, though...but I hate the water even more) The next thing I will have to deal with is my fear of an open water swim. It's too cold to practice in the lake, but I will definitely have to work on it. Swimming has always been the reason I have never attempted to do a Tri. I'm just no good and I have a general fear of drowning. It doesn't stop me from swimming, but it's there. I can imagine it will be worse in a lake. There's fish and the water is brown. Pollution. Gross. Just seems like an infection waiting to happen...or maybe I'm just a big baby...but whatever.

After the work-out I came home and PIGGED OUT on Mexican food. I have got to improve my diet. I went to the store tonight and bought a ton of healthy stuff so I won't have an excuse when I'm starving to just eat whatever. I bought some good fruits and veges..mangos, strawberries, squash, oranges, apples, bananas, spinach...and I got some Kashi, and some snack bars, and some Met Rex so I can make some smoothies. I am going to cut back on my beer consumption..(Lord help me!), and I am going to try my hardest to stay away from the remaining Girl Scout Cookies we have left. I couldn't button my jeans earlier today so I know the cookies are part of the problem. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

MMMm Girl scout cookies. I am such a sucker for the Samoas. And Tagalongs. Nice blog! I'll put you in my links and RSS feed, too. :) Thanks for saying hi. Oh, and cute costumed run outfit. I actually had a couple ruminations on that myself:
http://140point6miles.blogspot.com/2006/12/regarding-kooky-runners.html

TriSonq said...

Once you get more confident in your swimming abilities, it should help your open water skills.

There are sprint tris that are pool swims.

I hate to tell you this, but beer is usually present after a lot of tris in Mid TN.

Keep it up Laurie!

Chad said...

I am right there with you. I am afraid of drowning in an open water swim of any length beyond 400m and I can't seem to alter my diet. I have done 2 sprint tri's in pools though - the swims were pretty ugly but I might attempt #3 here in 3 weeks.

What's wrong with beer and girl scout cookies anyway? It's not like I dip the cookies in the beer ;-)

Laurie said...

Yeah... I can't cut out the Beer after a race, but maybe I should limit my intake during the week. I have a "Beer Gut". Not a big one, but one it think may disappear if I cut back. I have beer every time I run. That's a lot!

Allez said...

Fins make my feet hurt too. I got some "fin socks" to wear with them, to prevent the blisters. that helped, but the top of my feet still get sore. I'm with you on the open water swim. I'm paranoid of stepping on something sharp.