Tuesday, January 30, 2007

25:36 5k!!!! A new P.R.!!!

I skipped out on the Speed Sessions this morning because it was so frickin' cold, and I couldn't go tonight because of a school function at Bailey's school, so I went to the park today to do it on my own. I thought the work-out tonight was going to be a 5k time trial. (Although I later found out that's next week. They did the Mile repeats tonight. ) So, I programed my Garmin for a 25:30 in the Virtual Partner mode, but I really didn't think I would even be close this early in the season. The first mile I had the wind behind me (19mph gusts)and I ran a 7:10 mile..after I turned around it's all a blur, but I know I was running into the wind and it was so strong and so cold I was being blown off the path. But somehow I STILL managed to hit the 5k at 25:36! I couldn't believe it. I really think if it had not been for the wind, I would have beat the Garmin, but I wasn't looking for a time like this until March or April. (My best 5k to date was a 25:56 set on Labor Day last year at the Franklin Classic)This says to me that 24:30 will not be an issue this year. In fact, I may even hit a 23 something. Who knows..But that would be AWESOME!!! I have looked at some of the times to place in my age group in some pretty big 5ks and I think I may be able to do it by the fall. (A goal of mine) We shall see!!

I can admit I almost threw up during the last mile and I even stopped and started walking at one point because I was getting sick, but I glanced down at the Garmin and saw I was ahead of my predicted time (26:30) and thought"I can do this!" so that kept me running. On my way home I got a pounding headache and my nose started bleeding which got all over my body armor. OF COURSE I didn't have a tissue ANYWHERE in the car like a dummy..then I sneezed and it went everywhere. Disgusting. I think the cold wind caused the nose bleed...Although it does happen from time to time when I push too hard. It was worth it. I am so pumped right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Uh GROSS. I could have done without that last part. Dork!