Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Speed Sessions Baby!!!!

Tonight the Fleet Feet Winter Speed Sessions started! Woo-Hoo!! It was SOOOO cold, I thought I was gonna die, but we got through it. There were almost as many people there as the Summer Sessions, which was surprising because they had cancelled the winter ones last week due to no one signing up. There were so many complaints when they canceled that they decided to go ahead with it, and what do ya know..Huge crowd! It was held at CPA (Christ Pres. Academy) at their track where the coach teaches (he's a calculus teacher), and the track wasn't lighted except for one street lamp so we were running in the dark. I couldn't see my Garmin readings at all. I think I can light the Garmin up, but I don't know how yet.

So tonight we did Tempo work-outs, and I think we are going to focus on those for the next 10 weeks. My group (Me, Marion, Mary Thom,Melissa, and Jessika) did 12x400 at 2:15 pace with 15 second rest breaks. we never did hit 2:15 though. Every lap was under 2:00. The problem with that was we were supposed to be shooting for a pace that's 30 seconds slower than our CURRENT 5k times, which we all decided would be in the 26:30 to 27:00 min. range if we would have run a race tonight just coming off the holidays. So basically we ran the laps a little fast, although they felt pretty good.

I am so glad I got it done though. I have a love/hate relationship with Speed Sessions. Let's just say that if it were up to me to run them alone...I wouldn't. It helps to have 75 other people out there as miserable as I am..freezing their butts off and complaining right along with me. This summer we all had a heat stroke..and I guess we'll all have hypothermia for the next couple of months this winter. Yee-Haw! The fun part comes after the work-outs, though. BEER!!!!!! I like to knock a few Yazoos back after running. Quickest buzz in the south. We usually go out afterward and do so...but it didn't happen tonight. All I wanted tonight was a HOT shower, my flannel P.J.'s., and some lotion on my poor chapped face!

No comments: