Sunday, February 25, 2007

Swimming Lessons week 1

Aquatics Center

Coach Dee

Tonight was the first night for the new triathlon swimming lessons being held at the Williamson County Rec Center. There were a ton of people there, and the ones I knew were Valerie, Mary Thom, Wayne, and Martin. Dee was the coach and Ashley assisted. Ashley also teaches on Monday and Wednesday nights, but I can't make those so I was thrilled to learn about the one opening up on Sunday nights. We are going to meet for 5 weeks, then practice on our own during the week (She said 2 or 3 swims) then we should be ready for a tri or a master's swim team. I am SOOOOO glad I have been swimming some for the past 2 months because I would have been pitiful. It was a difficult work-out for me, but there were some people there who had not been swimming since they were kids so I know it had to be rough for them. We started off by doing 100 yards freestyle so we could get warmed up and she could see how we looked. There were 5 or 6 to a lane so it was chaos at first, but we got the hang of it. Then we put fins on and grabbed a kickboard, and swam 100 yards on our side hanging on to the board with our face out of the water. Then the other side. Then we did the same thing on both sides with our face IN the water and taking a breath every 3 secs. We had to make sure our legs were STRAIGHT and we were kicking from the hips. That was HARD. The fins started to hurt my feet so I took them off, and it slowed me down but I didn't care. Then we had to tread water with our hands out of the water, and once again kick from the hips. WOW!! That was REALLY HARD! I couldn't do it but she said if I had fins on it would be easier, so i put them back on and sure enough...it was. I am going to try and swim again on Wednesday and Friday and do the same work-out if possible. I don't think I can do it tomorrow since I swam tonight, but I might. The best part for me was seeing Valerie. I haven't seen her in months so I hope we can start running and hanging out again. I've missed her. She moved to Nolensville last summer, and it's really not that far from Brentwood, but it's a pain to to go running like we use to because the drive kinda sucks. We both work weird random schedules so that makes it even harder, AND she home schools her youngest boy on Tuesday and Thursday...which are my running days. But, we talked tonight and we are going to make more of an effort to see each other. :) What an awesome work-out, though! I can't wait till next week!

1 comment:

Chad said...

That sounds like a great class! Keep after it. I need to really start looking for something similar.