Monday, May 28, 2007

JCC Team Magic Tri!

This is Tammy, me and Wayne. Tammy didn't look this happy after the race. Read on!



This is Michele, Lana, Patrick and Me. There is another girl pictured here I did not know. I think her name is Amy.
This is me coming in for the finish.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I placed 1st in the beginner's category of my age group! I am completely STUNNED by this considering the stress I was feeling over it. And the best part was the swimming! Here are a couple of photos and there are a few more to come! It was GREAT to finally meet Lana and Patrick. I felt like I knew them already, though. I saw David again and we ran together for a little ways for the last mile of the race. The swim was so much easier than I expected it to be. I was comfortable through-out the whole thing.. Then I ran to the transistion area and didn't even bother drying off. I just put on my bike shoes, helmet, and race number and took off. The biking was a whole lot harder than I expected it to be, but it was cool because I could see people's ages on the back of their calf so I picked them off one by one. There were a few steep hills and the finish was downhill.
Back at the trans area I re-racked the bike and put my running shoes on and my sports bra over my speedo. I was so tired at this point and I hadn't practiced any bricks so that first .5 mile was rough. I didn't have an iPod either so I was hurtin'. Once again I focused on picking off my age groupers and passed nearly everyone this way. Then David caught up with me and ran with me for most of the last mile. I saw Christy at the finish line! And my friend Valerie. (Valerie is the one who talked me into this whole thing and she didn't even get to do it due to the race filling up. ) I decided to stick around for the awards ceremony and I am so glad I did! I could not believe it when they said I was first because I felt like I did awful...(But I always feel that way in a race).
Here are my splits: Swim-5:14 Bike-35:47.74 Run-18:35.74
Non of those look impressive me me..but they somehow got my in first place in the beginner category..so I'll take it! The run was especially hard on me due to me not having my iPod/crutch and never practicing bricks. It shows in my time.

Update: I just got an email which said they had tecnical difficulties with the Transition Mats so out Trans times are included in the bike and run times..which means I did better than I thought on those. Whew..I thought I REALLY sucked on the run...But add about 2 or 3 minutes to that. (I was in the transitions FOREVER!)









I saw Tammy (another training partner) at the finish line and she looked like a Mummy. Apparently she had a bad wreck and ended up having a SERIOUS road rash, and they had wrapped her all up. But she's tough because she carried her bike the rest of the way....then ran and finished the race anyway. Lana placed third overall and I think that is awesome! Overall I am very happy with today and I signed up for the Mach Tenn this Saturday. PANIC!!!

8 comments:

Allez said...

Great job!!! The olympic tri is this next weekend? You are very aggressive! ;-)

Michele said...

Congrats on your race today. You did great. I had a great time cheering for you.
Your splits are great.
I posted the pics on my blog, feel free to post any of them you want.

Mach Tenn isn't an olympic distance, it is still a sprint, just longer then today's race. It will be fun. Glad you got signed up. See ya then.

Molly said...

GREAT JOB!!!!!

Sounds like you can rest next week and be really prepared for the weekend!

Take Care
Molly

Laurie said...

Yeah...SOmeone told me yesterday it was olynpic didtance. I looked into it an I am now relieved that it isn't. HA! I can't wait though. that was so much fun!!

TriSonq said...

I can't believe you placed. You Sandbagger!!!

It was great to finally meet you. It's been great meeting everyone in blogland.

Watch out, it looks like you may be a tri regular around Middle Tennessee!

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a small-medium size wetsuit, but everyone I know is doing the race next week.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Laurie - You did AWESOME!!! How about that first place?!!!? You are going to love Mach Tenn...it's a blast! Can't wait to see you!

TriShannon said...

Wow... congrats!! Sounds like you had a great race!

Lance Notstrong said...

I feel for your friend Tammy, it sucks to go down. It's cool that she could finish. And what an awesome job you did!!! And you said you couldn't swim.