Saturday, May 5, 2007

Run for Cinco de Mayo 5k


Well...Christy has completed her first 5k! She was shooting for a 35:00 but that last half of it was all upHill so she ended up with a 42:00. She was disappointed but honestly..if I had been trying for a 23:00 I would have probably finished in 27:00. It was a tough course....especially for a new runner. The start line was at the bottom of a hill, and hills continued through-out..then coming back was ALL uphill. And she hasn't done any hill training at all so now we know what to work on starting next week. She said she thought she was going to die..and I reminded her that she will ALWAYS feel that way if she's trying to beat a time so get used to it. It never gets any easier unless you are just running for the fun of it...so it's not a sign of weakness to think you are going to die. That's how it's supposed to feel! Welcome to running! During the run I kept telling her to turn around and look at all the people she was in front of! (A ton!) She ran most of the distance without stopping. In fact, I don't think she took any walk breaks till after mile 2..which was a MAJOR hill. On her shoulder I wrote "My first 5k" with a Sharpie and so people where cheering her on..and lots of people came up to her and said it was their first, too. And, we were right on pace for the first part of it..my leg never cramped. ( I've been having some issues with my left thigh since Saturday....But I ran this at a much slower pace than usual so I was fine.) After the race she was happy because she knew she gave it everything she had..so she did her best. Now she has a time to beat. And she said she's hooked for sure!

There was a huge block-party after the race and it was fun. Lots of free food, margaritas, and beer! So she has her first 5k under her belt. Congratulations Christy!! I am so proud of you!

6 comments:

Molly said...

What a great coach you are! Looks like a fun race...I am wondering if I should squeeze in a 5K (to get the feel of a race) before my 10K in June (would be my first race EVER!)
Your son is adorable...looks like you all had lots of fun!
Take Care
Molly

TriShannon said...

What a great friend you are!! I'm sure you helped make her first 5k experience a memorable and fun one.

Allez said...

Did you run in the hats? :-)

Laurie said...

No..we didn't run in the hats..although I probably would have...it was just too hot. In fact, I ended up taking that shirt off, too!

Lance Notstrong said...

If there's one thing my first two triathlons have taught me; it's all about the course and the weather. Those two things have affected my performance more than anything.

Chad said...

OK - you seem to find all the fun races - there was that halloween thing, St. Patrick's day, and now Cinco de Mayo. I think I need to get you to plan my racing schedule!