Monday, June 4, 2007

Mach Tenn Tri


Me and Winfield..settin' up Transition..I am so "Not in the know" at this moment!



Concerned look on my face as I surveyed the situation...and put my wetsuit on Backwards. Opps. HA!

I'm thinking "Smile..this is the LAST time I'll ever get the chance to!"


Tip-Toeing into the lake.. About to face death


Made it to my bike by the grace of God

SO glad I Finished! Me, Lana, and Michele chillin' with beer and bananas.

I got up at 4:30 and got ready for the 1.5 hour drive to Tullahoma. Winfield was late picking me up. (Winfield is the husband of my friend, Kelli. She is still too chicken to TRI. We're workin' on her) We left around 6:00. We drove in his Jeep and it was COLD cause he had the top off so I covered up with a blanket and turned the heat up full blast. Then it started to rain. Fun stuff.

We got there and set up the transition area, then I found Emmit who took all the photos for me, and I saw various other people I knew including Patrick, Michelle, and Lana. I was so happy to see my fellow bloggers!!

The Swim portion was living HELL! I was grossly under prepared. THe wet suit prevented me from reaching like I am used to, and my shoulders gave out almost immediately. I spent the majority of the 6/10 mile swim on my back praying to God I didn't drown. 30:38 later I dragged myself out of the lake and spent 5:44 in T1 trying to get my act together for the bike leg.

The biking wasn't all that hard, but it wasn't a piece of cake either. (Anything's better than the swim) I rode almost all of it with a guy that played catch me if you can the whole time. I would catch him..pass him..and he'd chase me for awhile. This went back and forth the whole 16 miles. We passed a bunch of Goat farms so I called to the goats every time I passed one. That was the most enjoyable part of the 59:23 ride for me. I was glad to be off the bike.

The the run was actually the easiest for me this time. I never had to walk..not even the hills. But, I had gotten a Microdermabrasion treatment done on the day before...so my face was ON FIRE when I started to sweat. I passed my bike dude early during the run and he never caught me. I did it in 35:29..4 miles. Now that time is a slow 4 miles for me but the swim just about killed me so I am giving myself a break on my run time. I grabbed a cold towel at the finish line and put it on my poor face. Then I ate pizza, bananas, cookies, beans, HoeCakes, and washed it all down with BudLight. I was buzzin' after just ONE! My total time was 2:13:40...which got me 12th out of 13 in my age group. HA!!! I was pissed at first but I am new so now I don't care. Next year I'll be at the top of the list. Next stop....Moon Pie 10 miler on the 16th..then the McMinnville Tri on June 23rd.




7 comments:

Bullet said...

Hey congrats! Sounds like you had a blast.

Allez said...

Was that your first open water swim? I want to try one, but haven't gotten any practicing in!

Laurie said...

It was my first Open Water swim! COMPLETELY different from the pool. I need to practice because I FREAKED knowing there was no place to rest..just sink or swim.

TriSonq said...

So proud of you!

Great Job Laurie.

Michele said...

You did awesome girl. You have taken the tri world by storm.

Congrats. Open water is a new world and you did it!!!

Hope you got signed up for McMinnville. Bring the kids, it is a great play pool.

Lance Notstrong said...

Run time expectations tend to get shifted once you throw in the swim and the bike. You did awesome!!!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congrats, Laurie! You did great! That swim was tough. You weren't the only one thinking you were going to drown...and I've done many open water swims!!!