Wednesday, August 27, 2008

SCHOOLED

I started school last night and there are some things I am going to need to figure out. To begin with, I slipped one of my kids ADHD pills last semester to see if it would help. Come to find out, that's what my problem has been all along when it comes to school. When it's kicking...I absolutely love the feeling. I feel ecstatic and my brain becomes an information sponge, so see why college kids buy it on the street. I didn't have to go to these extremes, though. I easily obtained a prescription and last semester I took it everyday. (Vyvance- 30mg)

The side effects are horrendous though. I can't eat, I am thirsty, I can't sleep at night, and talk about being a BTCH...when that stuff start's wearing off at the end of the day I become moody as hell and lash out. I talked to the doc about it and there's not much I can do but take a different pill towards the end of the day to ease me off, but I am not big on pills so I didn't do that. I just waited till the end of the semester and I have been off of it all summer. Well, I started taking it again last week to get used to the side effects and went to school last night. The problem is....it wear's off during class. (Downward spiral commence.)

So #1...The instructor is Russian. It's hard enough to understand her with the accent, but when I can't focus it's REALLY HARD.

# 2: She is very Russian. Strict, to-the-point. (Think Edna Mode of The Incredibles...The lady who made the "Super-Suits". Not sure if she is Russian but that's who she reminded me of. Or even Lucy Lu's character on Charlie's Angels. The scene where she was in front of the group of men at the business meeting) She bit someone's head off (Including mine) over a question on the syllabus, then asked "Anymore questions?" I looked around and everyone is timidly shaking their heads "No" with these huge eyes. "Good..Now, back to the syllabus." Ah Maaaaannnn. This is going to be a LOOOONNNNGGG semester.

# 3: During the lecture portion, I found myself floating away, feeling bored, and a song stuck in my head. ("In My House"...Mary Jane Girls. OMG SERIOUSLY?? No more 80's on the way to school for me!) This didn't happen last semester in my history class. I found it to be the most interesting topic in all the world and took notes that could be published for a study guide. (Everyone wanted to borrow mine because I always made 100's on the test...plus ALL the extra credit questions) I looked over my notes from last night when I got up this morning, and I can barely read them. It looks like a 2nd grader wrote them.

#4: I almost beat the shit out of the vending machine because it took my money. I snack like crazy when the meds wear off, and my blood sugar is low from the lack of food all day so it's not a good time to mess with me. Some poor kid put some change in the machine to help me retrieve the object of my desire (Cheddar cheese pretzel Combos) which worked because then 2 fell out. SCORE!! I'll pay him back Thurs.

So what do I do? School is going to be as challenging for me as an IronMan if I don't get it together.

Oh.. I almost forgot. #5: NO DRINKS IN CLASS! This includes water. The medication causes me to be extremely thirsty even after it wears off so there's yet ANOTHER distraction, and I was watching the clock and counting down the minutes till break so I could suck down my water bottle.

No comments: