Sunday, August 17, 2008

GNAC

LAst week I did a ride with GNAC starting at Edwin Warner Park. There were three different levels to choose from, and I choose the shortest route of 24 miles. When I lived in Tullahoma, I used to bike 22 miles every other day on my hybrid and it was a piece of cake. This ride?.....not so much. Most of the people riding this distance had completed an Ironman only weeks ago, so this was to be a "Slow-recovery ride" for them. "Good" I thought. "A chance for me to keep up". They all had their IronMan gear on and their fancy Tri-bikes so I was already intimidated, but maybe since they were doing a "recovery" ride I had a chance.

I took my position at the back of the pack with the sweeper, and off we went. The pace was comfortable and I felt really good. They must either be tired or I am a stud because I was keeping up with ease. (I honestly figured they were tired..maybe I can keep up the whole distance) About 4 miles into it, we came to our first "Hill"..(Is that what they called it?) This is where I got left, and I came this close >< to loosing my breakfast. They went up the "Hill" like it was a straight-away. Just up and over...I swear I heard rocket engines. Where did they get this strength, and who is this guy coming back down the hill? Is he CRAZY? It was all I could do to keep from legs moving and not topple over. The guy who came back was coming back FOR ME!! (Awwwwwww. Now if I can only refrain from throwing up) He encouraged me onward and wasn't even winded, and I couldn't respond to anything he was saying except a grunt. FINALLY...the top of the hill came into view around the bend, and WOW; there was the rest of the pack not too far ahead of me. "See?" The crazy guy who came back for me said, "You did it, and you ARE keeping up." "Grunt" I said. From there we were going 37 MPH straight down and around some serious curves. I made it. This ride went on and on endlessly and FINALLY some dude towards the back with me got a Flat tire. THANK GOD!! I know that's awful but I needed an excuse to stop.

No comments: